Tuesday, February 15, 2011

John Oehser arrives at Jaguars.com, Mike Tice to Titans denied

Just wanted to take this moment to welcome John Oehser as the new Senior Editor to Jaguars.com. Here's his introduction. I thought it was great. Strong voice, very reassuring and addressed a number of things that at least some fans were worried about, mainly would he still do a daily mailbag, and how would his time with the Colts affect his writing now. I assume we won't be getting any more Peyton Manning is a choker jokes (personal relationships tend to mellow criticisms). I'm ok with that. Even if the senior editor isn't poking fun, Peyton will always be the NFL's greatest choke artist.

Onward. I think the Bears denying the Titans a chance to interview Mike Tice for their offensive coordinator position is good news for the Jaguars. Losing Tice was a blow to the quality of the Jaguars coaching staff, not crippling, Andy Heck is as good a coach as there is, but Tice provided a lot to the whole offense. I'm always a fan of having former head coaches as assistants, even guys who had really rough runs as a head coach like Tice did. They tend to have a good sense of the big picture and understand the value of organization, staying to the head coaches message, long term development, etc. The downside is they tend to be well connected and always looking for better opportunities. It can make them difficult to hold onto when the situation becomes less than ideal. I don't particularly care where Tice ends up but since I do think he's an above average coach, coupled with a fairly intimate understanding of the Jaguars organization, I'd prefer if he stayed out of the AFC South. That doubles for the Titans who I'd be prefer were run by Dan Snyder (I contemplated going with monkeys or children or some other dumb jokesy group but since I'm pretty sure at this point Snyder is testing how poorly an organization can operate while still sucking the life blood of its fans, I think there's probably no worse curse on a franchise. Don't sue me, danny boy)

-Q

No comments:

Post a Comment