Friday, January 28, 2011

Jeff Fisher is out


Jeff Fisher is leaving Tennessee and while Vic may be swooning and reminiscing about days gone by, I will be glad to see his arrogant little mustache go. I only wish Vince Young was hanging around (and he still might. They haven't actually gotten rid of him yet) for the next coach. When your rival has a QB who throws "like a girl" (I apologize to women/girls, I really mean from the elbow but who is going to know what I'm talking about if I say that), there's a certain bliss in knowing they are never really going anywhere. They won't win the Super Bowl, or the AFC, or the division. I imagine VY had trouble winning scrimmages in practice.
Vic is a journalist first and foremost (although he did admit he likes for the team to win, which isn't exactly a neutral statement) so he's understandably more interested in compelling story lines. Jeff Fisher certainly was that. I hated playing the Titans especially because even when you thought they would be truly, truly awful, they would go out and beat you (see 2007 opening day). Fisher never really had the talent in my opinion. He dealt with a lot of busts, and I always got the sense even Titan fans were surprised when their latest star arrived (Cortland who? Jason Jones?). The sheer litany of high profile busts is pretty outstanding (Vince Young, Lendale White, Pacman Jones, Chris Henry). They even let talented guys like Randy Starks (congrats on that first Pro Bowl big fella) walk away. In hindsight he did a pretty masterful job of getting anything out of the most athletic piece of fat on the planet (Albert Hayneworth). I don't really want that. It is not important to me that the Jaguars play in the best division in football. I will cheer when Peyton Manning retires. When the NFL was finalizing their realignment of the division, I vividly remember a local sports radio host talking about what a treat it would be to watch Peyton Manning for the next ten years. Yeah, its been barrels of fun.
Look, its perfectly true that rivalries are no fun if one team is dominant over the other. It's also no fun to be the runt little brother, and the Jags often feel like the runt little brother (ok, we're better off than Houston, so maybe we're more like the forgotten middle child). I just want to be the smarter, better, faster, stronger sibling. After the last eight years I'd prefer Peyton Manning not being our daddy. For that to happen, we need some things to change.
-Q
Image: Credit: Reuters/Jason Cohn
*Also I think it's fitting for Jeff Fisher to be the first image on the blog

No comments:

Post a Comment