Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Top DTs in the NFL, Predicting the future

Andy Benoit put together a list of top ten defensive tackles in the league. Neither Tyson Alualu or Terrence Knighton made the list, although Alualu garnered a mention as a potential future top ten. I was a little surprised it was him instead of Knighton but take what you can get (Jags fans are very starved for attention).

Since he has only put out the top DTs and DEs (no Jags mentioned here. Poor Aaron Kampman), I'm going to take a stab at who else will garner a mention.

I'd be pretty surprised if anyone from the following positions showed up: QB, OL (he breaks it up by position but I don't think it'll matter), S, CB, WR, ILB

RB: Maurice Jones-Drew was ranked fifth last year. Although he had a better year, and I'd argue has established himself as the clear #3 RB in the league, my guess is he drops here. I don't know who slides ahead of him but I think injury concerns will be the justification.

TE: Marcedes Lewis has to make an appearance on this list. I'll guess he moves all the way to #5 at least. Last year's top guys had pretty down years (not Antonio Gates. He is from another planet but Tony Gonzalez, Vernon Davis and Owen Daniels (#s 2,3, and 4, respectively) should fall off). Sadly, I think he'll somehow stick Rob Gronkowski ahead of him.

OLB: Daryl Smith will garner a mention as "on the cusp."

Sorry this is so meta but really I got nothing right now. It is a slow freaking time of the year any year and the lockout is, alas, not interesting.

Baseless prediction: It'll end on July 11th, cause that would be nice

I'll make sure to follow up on this (cause otherwise there won't be much to write about)

-Q

Image courtesy of Jaguars.com

No comments:

Post a Comment